PDT is a form of light therapy using a light-sensitive compound that is exposed to specific wavelengths of light, whereupon said compound becomes toxic to targeted diseased cells and microorganisms (phototoxicity).
Do you need PDT?
If your nails are discoloured, thick, hard to cut or crumbly, chances are you have a fungal nail infection called Onychomycosis. This is a very common nail disease and constitutes over half of all nail abnormalities. This condition may affect toenails or fingernails, but toenail infections are particularly common.
What to Expect?
- Your toenails will be blue in colour for the duration of the treatment. Your nails will fade between visits, however, the methylene blue is reapplied at each treatment.
- It may take longer than your five treatments to see full results depending on the speed of your nail growth.
- Some cases involving severely fungal nails may require additional treatments to ensure complete resolution.
Common Causes of Onychomycosis:
- Shared nail polishes, unsterile manicures and pedicures
- Communal showers, pools, hot tubs, and saunas
- Damaged or injured nails
- Excessive wearing of closed shoes
The treatment process is a total of 15 weeks, 5 appointments every 3 weeks.
Total appointment time is approximately 30 minutes.
- All nails will be cut and thinned out
- Methylene Blue is applied to all 10 nails
- Genesis Health Light is applied for 4 minutes per section of toenails for a total of 16 minutes
You will be provided with a take home kit with specific instructions on how to treat your socks, shoes and bedding at home, as fungal spores can survive in these environments and continue to re-infect your nails.
Now Treating Warts With PDT!
Do you have a stubborn wart that just won’t go away? We have a painless solution! Book with us and try out our PDT treatment on your wart!
Before and After PDT treatment
Slide over the images to see the before and after changes.